Friday, March 10, 2017

Decisions, Decisions

Today is day three and I still don’t know what genre I want to do (the anxiety levels are high). The one conclusion I did make is that I don’t want to do an interior design magazine; I want to do either a fashion or a cooking magazine. As a method to finally decide what magazine I want to do. I have indulged myself endlessly in research, luckily the research has become more like a hobby than actually work. Anyways, some of the conclusions I have made based on my research is that I want to incorporate graphic designs into my cover, possible with the mast head or the cover image depending on the genre I end up choosing. In the fashion magazines, I have researched I noticed they are incorporating graphics mainly through the cover image. In cooking magazines, it’s seen the least but when they are used they are primarily used with the masthead or the cover lines. Here are some examples of how magazine covers are incorporating graphic designs:

              


I decided the best way for me to finally chose my genre is to look up a magazine brand in each of my genres and truly analyze it. So, for my cooking magazine, I decided that magazine brand that best captures the essence and the mood that I want to create is Crumbs. When researching this magazine I learned they are a magazine that focuses on local cuisine. It recommends local restaurants, food markets, chefs, etc. They have various magazines that each focus on the cuisine of a different area. This is a characteristic I would like to explore if I do the cooking magazine because I believe it's a new and unique take on cooking magazines. I also learned that  Crumbs is a free magazine which can be found in local restaurants and food markets. Additionally,  Crumbs usually uses one food item as their cover image, instead of an actual plate. They do this because the rest of the issue typically focuses on this food item whether it be where are the best places to buy it, or the best recipes incorporating this food. The cover also uses unique fonts and changes fonts within different issues. In general, Crumbs tries to break away from conventional culinary magazines.


The magazine I decided to research and analyze for the fashion genre is i-D magazine. This magazine is focused on fashion overall but primarily focuses on how fashion affects our culture. This is something I might want to explore if I do a magazine within the fashion genre because I have noticed that fashion whether we like it or not is constantly affecting us and how we live. They also mention how every issue of their magazine has a wink, in a way, this is there selling line. This is another characteristic I would like to explore, even if I don’t do a fashion magazine. The cover of their magazines all have models, as their cover image but their images aren’t the typical cover images they all have a unique take on them whether they be in odd poses or they incorporate graphics to help make their images stand out. They have few cover lines, typically they only one which corresponds to the cover image. Overall i-D magazine tries to break conventional fashion magazine stereotypes.


Overall I believe that no matter what genre I choose I can use the analysis I have gathered from these magazines, in my own magazine. Well, I guess it’s back to research for me and hopefully tomorrow I will be able to tell you what I finally choose as my genre.

About. (n.d.). Retrieved March 10, 2017, from http://i-d.vice.com/en_us/about
About Crumbs Magazine: food and drink in Bristol, Bath and the South West. (n.d.). Retrieved March 10, 2017, from https://www.crumbsmag.com/pages/about-crumbs/
BBC - Press Office - BBC Magazines to launch Easy Food. (n.d.). Retrieved March 10, 2017, from http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/bbcworldwide/worldwidestories/pressreleases/2004/04_april/easy_food.shtml
Fashion. (n.d.). Retrieved March 10, 2017, from http://i-d.vice.com/en_us/topic/fashion
Food Magazine Target Audience. (2013, September 26). Retrieved March 10, 2017, from https://li9275.wordpress.com/research/food-magazine-target-audience/
Stockists. (n.d.). Retrieved March 10, 2017, from https://www.crumbsmag.com/pages/stockists

No comments:

Post a Comment