Wednesday, March 29, 2017

All there is to know about the cover

As promised earlier this week this post is going to help explain the ideas going around my head as to what I want to do for my cover. So first is first, the title. As previously mentioned, I decided to call my magazine #MUSE (F.Y.I. I am not 100% sure if I want to use only caps lock but when I mention the title I will write it out in caps lock for consistency). I decided to go with this title because I thought it was the most original of all of the title options. But as I started to research what muse means, I was happily surprised to find out that one of its definitions is a goddess that inspires a creative artist. I liked this because I think many people usually don’t realize that fashion is a type of art, and one of the goals of this magazine is to explore this concept and break away from the stereotypes that people think of when someone mentions fashion. But muse, along with a majority of the other words in the English dictionary, have various meanings and one of the other meanings muse has is to gaze meditatively or wonderingly. And this is how I want my readers to be; I want them to question the world and make their own conclusions about things and not be restricted by stereotypes. But muse isn’t the only part of my title; I also used the hashtag and I wanted to use the hashtag to appeal to the younger audience reading the magazine. Although my target audience is 16-30 year-old women, I believe even the higher end of the spectrum can relate to the hashtag (I mean my mom is 47 and she looooves hashtags).
The next part that I want to explain of my cover is the color scheme. As I began to research color psychology and looking at all the colors, I realized that all the color palettes that I like where accented neutral color palettes (an accented neutral color palette is to use neutral colors such as black, white, and grey and then add a pop of color such as red, purple, blue). And then it hit me I want every issue of my magazine to have an accented neutral color scheme but each issue would have a different accent color. But for the one I am creating here I don’t know the exact color I want to but here are some of the colors I am leaning towards:

As you can see I’m looking for colors that are very bright, and vibrant to help them pop. I also chose these colors because this magazine would be the April issue which is at the beginning of spring and spring is known for its bright colors.
Next, I want to talk about the font I want to use. So I know want my font to be very simple and clean because my plan for the cover image is to add graphics. I don’t want an elaborate font because I don’t want a cluttered cover. I’m unsure if I want it to be very straight and symmetrical or if I want it to be curved but still simple and classy. I think the way I’ll decide what font I want to use depends if I make my title in all caps or all lower case letters. I believe that if it’s in all caps, I would prefer a straight symmetrical font, yet if I choose lower case then I want a more curved font.
Now the biggest part of the cover, the cover image. Once I finally decided what I wanted my two page spread to be I knew that I didn’t want that to be on my cover. So, I’m kinda stuck on what exactly I want my image to be. All I know is that I do want to combine graphics somewhere with the image.
And lastly, the cover lines. So, what I decided is that I don’t want to add any extra cover lines. The only cover line I would add would be of my cover story but I am still debating this since my two-page spread isn't the cover image. Although I might add one because most magazines have at least one cover line corresponding to the cover image. Anyways that pretty much explains my cover,  until next time
(P.S. sorry for the two long posts in a row I’ll try for the next one to be shorter)

No comments:

Post a Comment